1. Eliminate or decrease sugar intake- did you know that 75 to 100 grams of sugar (which is how much is in two 12oz pop cans) can actually decrease the ability of white blood cells to kill germs by 40% for up to 5 hours!!!!!
2. Eat lots of fruits and veggies- they are full of antioxidants and immune boosters- the more variety of bright colours the better. Also try to drink lots of water and add lemon to it when possible. This helps to flush toxins from the system and supports liver detox as well
3. Wash hands- In order for hand washing to be effective you must scrub your hands for 20 seconds because that's how long it takes to dislodge and remove stubborn germs (sing the Happy Birthday' song 2x)
4. Get plenty of rest- It is important to sleep for at least 8 hours a night if possible. Sleep is when the body repairs itself and replenishes the immune system
5. Supplements- be preventative! Take your daily Vitamin D (immune modulator), probiotic (fills the gut with good bacteria so bad bacteria can't come in), echinacea (at the onset of symptoms take to help support healthy immune function and decrease duration of symptoms)....there are many more supplements and herbs that can be taken both before and during the flu--- ask your naturopathic doctor for more individualized support.
Quick reference to help you differentiate between the Flu and the common Cold:
Symptoms Cold Flu
Fever Rarely or occasionally Common, high (39-40C) starts suddenly lasts 3-4 days
Headache Sometimes but not severe Common and can be severe
Muscle Aches Sometimes but usually mild Common and can be severe
Fatigue Rarely, but usually mild Common, severe and may last 2-3 weeks
Sneezing & Nasal Congestion Common Sometimes
Coughing & Chest Discomfort Mild to moderate discomfort Common and can be severe