Aside from their delicious taste, pineapples can help you get glowing skin, reduce bloating and digestive issues, prevent colds and flu, reduce inflammation and even strengthen your bones! That tropical fruit with it’s spiky green leaves and rugged, golden skin is, in fact, a collection of multiple fruits, and a powerhouse of health benefits! Here are 16 reasons why you should enjoy pineapple regularly:
1. It’s nutrient-rich!Fresh pineapple provides a host of vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, C, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and manganese!
2. It helps to strengthen your bonesThe manganese content in pineapple helps your body build strong bones and connective tissues!
3. It improves digestionPineapples contain bromelain which helps to regulate the pancreatic secretions that aid digestion!
4. It keeps your gums healthyOne cup of pineapple provides 105% of your vitamin C needs for the day. Because of this, eating the fruit lowers your risk of gingivitis and periodontal disease!
5. It can help alleviate arthritis painPineapple is actually anti-inflammatory, helping to alleviate the pain of arthritis, along with similar conditions, like gout and carpal tunnel syndrome.
6. It can help to prevent hypertensionTrying to reduce your high blood pressure? The potassium content in pineapples can help to maintain healthy blood pressure levels.
7. It may assist with cancer prevention! The high antioxidant content in pineapples helps to fight against free radical damage, keeping your cells healthy.
8. It prevents and fights coughs and coldsAs pineapples are rich in vitamin C, they naturally boost your immune system, helping you fight off coughs and colds. The bromelain content also helps to loosen mucus and suppress coughs.
9. It can protect your eyes from macular degeneration A source of beta carotene, pineapples can help lower your risk for this disease by up to 36 percent!
10. It may help prevent blood clotsThe bromelain content in pineapples may help protect you from blood clots, making it a great snack for frequent flyers and those at higher risk of clotting.
11. It’s great for watching your weightNutrient-rich, a good source of fiber and low in calories, this delicious, juicy fruit makes a great addition to any diet as a healthy, filling choice!
12. It can help ease an upset stomachPineapple juice may also have the ability to reduce nausea and morning sickness!
13. It can help boost your fertilityA diet rich in antioxidants have been shown to improve fertility. The antioxidants and nutrients in pineapple such as vitamin C, beta-carotene, zinc and folate affect both male and female fertility.
14. It supports healing and reducing inflammationStudies show that the bromelain enzyme in pineapples can reduce swelling, bruising, healing time, and pain associated with injury and surgical intervention, as well as inflammation in the body.
15. It helps maintain gorgeous, healthy skin!The vitamin C content of pineapples helps to support collagen production, helping you to maintain healthy, supple skin. Try this homemade papaya and pineapple face mask!
16. It works as a natural meat tenderizerThe bromelain enzyme in pineapple is great at tenderizing meats and proteins, helping to support your digestion, but also to tenderize your meat before cooking!